Tuesday, February 26, 2008


A: I Want a Pet
B: Child, Lauren
D: Tricycle Press, 1999
E: Picture Book
F: K-1
G: This little girl really wants a pet. She asks her mother if she can get one. Everyone in the house has something to say about it including Dad, Granny, and Grandad. She then goes through all the different types of pets and finds that she needs to avoid pets that will eat you, copycats, animals that howl, animals that leave lots of footprints, pets that squeeze, and ones that wont make mom mad. She ends up with an egg, she does not know what it is, but we can imagine what it will be.
H: This is a very creative book. As with all Lauren Child books, I love the artwork. I also love the story. It is a great tale of something that is faced by almost all kids; I think that this will help a lot of children relate to this book. This is overall a very cute book.
I: This book has a lot of potential in the classroom. First off, it could be used to teach different types of animals and some things about them. I also think that this book would be a great book for beginning readers because it has minimal text and the story can almost be told with the pictures alone. I would also let the children predict what they think the egg with hatch into and have them draw a picture.

1 comment:

Dr. Frye said...

Again, focus on being more specific when referencing the story and the art; this is an area you will need to revise throughout your posts. When I ask for specificity, I am referring to:
o Examine these picture books through characterization, perspective, illustrations, and the integration of the text and illustrations.
o Does the text alone hold the reader's attention?
o Is the art accessible and interesting to the intended audience? Do the illustrations communicate symbolically through the use of backgrounds, colors, framing, shading, texture, etc.? Discuss the artistic media used. Does the illustrator’s artistic medium enhance the fit between text and pictures for these books?

I like your teaching idea for this book; I would also include having the students write a story about what happens when the egg hatches. : )